Search This Blog

Sunday, July 18, 2010

What to do with leftover Picadillo

This is one of my favorite dishes and although I don't often have occasion to eat it, the memory still recalls the textures, aromas and the taste.  Kids love this dish because it is very basic...meat and potatoes, with a twist.  I was very asthmatic when I was a child and I often refused to eat.  My mother would make this recipe and it would be the  only way she could get me to eat.  I've given this recipe an unexpected twist by coating them in panko bread crumbs, which when fried  really bump up the crunch factor of anything.  So you have this incredibly golden fried exterior of the potatoes and the initial crunch when you bite into them followed by the creaminess of the mashed potatoes themselves and then the surprise of the different textures of the Picadillo in the center. Your tastebuds will explode!
 
Papas Rellenas (Stuffed Mashed Potatoes)


4-5 medium potatoes (about 2 lbs.)
oil for frying
1 cup leftover Picadillo
2 eggs lightly beaten
panko bread crumbs

The best method of preparation for the potatoes is to boil them with their skins on until they are fork tender.  Drain the water and let the potatoes cool.  Once cooled, peel the skins off and mash them.

Take a handful of the potatoes and make a ball about 3-4 inches in diameter.  With your thumb or the back of a teaspoon create a hole or well inside the potato ball.  Fill the well with about 1-2 tbsp. of the Picadillo.  Cover the filled well with the potato ball.  Run the potato ball through the lightly beaten eggs and then through the panko bread crumbs.  Heat the oil thoroughly in a heavy skillet or saute pan.  Drop the potato balls in the hot oil and fry on all sides until golden brown.  remove from the oil and drain on paper towels.  Serve.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent love Peccadillo. My partners mom and dad were Cuban. My parter is a vegetarian.I use Qorn and other mices such as Beyond Meat Mince, and it comes out like im mom made! His Abuela used the mash potatos too

    ReplyDelete